?> ?> ?>
Mostly Cloudy, 71° F
North Little Rock’s history is rich and varied, deeply rooted as a center of railroad and riverboat commerce. Known as “opposite Little Rock” before the Civil War, the town was first platted in 1866, and its original official name, Argenta, recognized the importance of the silver mines located north of town. Today, the city’s historic downtown area, also known as Argenta, has reclaimed the name for itself. The city was one briefly annexed to Little Rock as its Eighth Ward, but has been independent since 1904.
Downtown is home to a number of historic buildings, including the North Little Rock City Hall, circa 1914; the Baker House, an 1898 Queen Anne mansion now offering bed-and-breakfast accommodations; and Argenta Drug Co., an 1880s building that houses what is believed to be the oldest, continually operating pharmacy west of the Mississippi River. The E. O. Manees House at 216 W. Fourth St. was built in 1895 and serves as home to the Junior League of North Little Rock. The Argenta Community Garden is also located on the property. Park Hill, the city’s first suburb, dates to the early 1920s, and its oldest homes include architectural styles such as Spanish and English Revival and Craftsman. The city is also rich in military history. Fort Logan H. Roots opened in 1897 and is now the home of one of the central Arkansas’ two Veteran’s Administration hospitals.
The North Little Rock History Commission has an extensive collection of newspaper articles, photos and other paraphernalia. For more information, visit the North Little Rock History Commission
North Little Rock Chamber of Commerce
100 Main Street
North Little Rock, AR 72114
Phone: (501) 372-5959
Fax: (501) 372-5955